Updated Cardiac-Interventional Radiography Task Inventory, Clinical Requirements and Content Specifications Effective July 1, 2017
(September 8, 2016) — Since certification examinations are required to be practice related, ARRT periodically conducts a job analysis to make certain that the certification examination content specifications and the clinical requirements remain comprehensive, accurate and fair. ARRT, with the help of the professional community, reviews the certification documents every five years.
In July 2016, the ARRT Board of Trustees approved the changes to the following documents, which go into effect on July 1, 2017.
Overview of Changes to the Task Inventory
- Assess distal pulses pre and post procedure was added.
- Prepare or assist in administering emergency medications was added.
- Prepare or assist in administering moderate sedation medications was removed.
- Tasks concerning ionic and CO2 contrast agents were removed.
- Eight tasks concerning radiation safety were added.
- Process images using 3D reconstruction was added.
- Five tasks concerning access assessment were added.
- Eight examination procedures were added and one was removed.
Overview of Changes to the Content Specifications for examinations administered after July 1, 2017.
- The content categories were retitled and rearranged into three major sections to make them consistent with the universal category titles in all ARRT disciplines.
- Topics regarding access assessment were added to the Patient Care section.
- Topics regarding cardiac life support were removed from the Patient Care section.
- Angiography acquisition and processing topics in the Image Production section were expanded.
- Topics regarding optical coherence tomography and intracardiac echocardiography were added to the Image Production section.
- Radiation protection topics were added to the Image Production section.
- Carotid angiography, transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI/TAVR), and valvuloplasty were added to the examinations in the procedures section.
Overview of Changes to the Clinical Experience Requirements
- Documentation of current advanced cardiac life support (ACLS) certification with application submission was added as a clinical requirement.
- Demonstration of active participation in a primary role was clarified to include: scrubbing, circulating, and monitoring.
- The number of mandatory right heart catheterization procedures was reduced from 20 to 10.
- The minimum number of electives procedures was increased from 70 to 80.
- Optical coherence tomography (OCT), intracardiac echocardiography (ICE), transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI/TAVR), distal protection device placement/retrieval, valvuloplasty, carotid angiography, and aortography were added to the list of elective procedures.
Direct any questions about these proposed changes to ARRT staff at (651) 681-3150.
Documents Effective July 1, 2017
Task Inventory for Cardiac-Interventional Radiography
Content Specifications for Cardiac-Interventional Radiography Examination
Cardiac-Interventional Radiography Clinical Experience Requirements